This video tutorial shows FreeBSD 11.1 installation with Enlightenment E17 Desktop Environment on Oracle VirtualBox step by step. We'll also install applications such as Firefox, GIMP, LeafPad, Terminology, FileZilla and LibreOffice on FreeBSD 11.1. This tutorial is also helpful to install FreeBSD 11.1 on physical computer or laptop hardware. We also install VirtualBox Guest Additions on FreeBSD 11 for better performance and usability features: Automatic Resizing Guest Display, Shared Folder, Seamless Mode and Shared Clipboard, Improved Performance and Drag and Drop.
1- Create Virtual Machine on Oracle VirtualBox
2- Start FreeBSD 11.1 Installation
3- Install Xorg, Slim Display Manager and Enlightenment E17 Desktop Environment
4- Install Firefox, GIMP, LeafPad, Terminology, FileZilla and LibreOffice Applications
5- Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on FreeBSD 11.1
6- Test Guest Additions Features: Automatic Resizing Guest Display and Shared Clipboard
FreeBSD 11.1 New Features and Improvements
- Clang, LLVM, LLD, LLDB, and libc++ have been updated to version 4.0.0.
- Many third-party (contributed) software updates, such as the Elf Tool Chain, ACPICA, libarchive, ntpd, unbound, and more.
- Support for blacklistd has been added to OpenSSH.
- The zfsbootcfg utility has been added, providing one-time boot.config-style options for zfsboot.
- The efivar utility has been added, providing an interface to manage UEFI variables.
- Support for Microsoft Hyper-V Generation 2 virtual machines has been added.
- The ena driver has been added, providing support for "next generation" Enhanced Networking on the Amazon EC2 platform.
- The NFS client now supports the Amazon Elastic File System (EFS).
- The EFI loader can now access remote files via TFTP in addition to NFS as a runtime configuration option.
- ZFS now stores compressed data in cache, improving cache hit rates and performance.
- Several updates to provide build reproducibility.
FreeBSD Website: https://www.freebsd.org/
Download FreeBSD 11.1 ISO: https://www.freebsd.org/where.html
What is Enlightenment E17 Desktop Environment?
Enlightenment (E17) is the next generation of graphical desktop shell from the Enlightenment project. It is a compositing and stacking window manager for the X Window System. Since version 20, Enlightenment is also a Wayland compositor. Enlightenment includes functions to provide a graphical shell, and it can be used in conjunction with programs written for GNOME or KDE. When used together with the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL), Enlightenment can refer to an entire desktop environment.
Enlightenment Website: https://www.enlightenment.org/
Hope you found it informative and useful. Any questions or comments are welcomed.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHANNEL
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SysAdminsHowto/
Linux Video Tutorials: https://linux-video-tutorials.blogspot.com/
FreeBSD 11.1 Installation with E17 Desktop on VirtualBox Video: https://youtu.be/r6VLUCTz3vE